BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS

Tuesday, May 4, 2010

College Book Store: Supplier to the Athens Art Student

Some girls like to buy clothes; some have a fetish for footwear, and some even feel the compulsion to buy as many handbags as they can snatch up in one shopping trip.

I, too, have a shopping problem: I can spend hours in a craft or art-supply store, and I always leave with something that is relatively useless to me.

When I began my quest to find books as a Freshman last year, one of the first stores I visited was College Book Store on the corner of Court and Union streets.

There, at the entrance, I found a mysterious and welcoming staircase with a sign pointing down, tempting me with the description: "Art Supplies." Oh dear... At that moment, I swear I could hear change falling from my pockets and down those stairs.

Today, I paid a visit to the store again and spoke to Melissa Williams, who has worked in the art supply basement of College Book Store for 11-and-a-half years. She shared friendly chit-chat and some information about the buying habits of students.

She told me that College Book Store's art section "caters to students" and that the closest art-supplier otherwise may be as far away as Parkersburg, W.Va.

As far as the buying habits of those students to which the store caters, Williams says that the most popular product she sells are "Liquitex paints, charcoals and Staedtler Pencils." She boasts the pencils in particular as being "the best."

As I browsed the store, I picked up a package of Staedtler pens. "Are the pens as popular as the markers?" I asked.

Williams shook her head in response, saying that the preferred technical pens are Pigma Microns. Understandably, I feel.

I left the store with a brush-tip Pigma pen and with my wallet $3.09 lighter.

I really need to stop going into College Book Store...

College Book Store Logo from College Book Store Web site

5 comments:

Marius said...

Oh deaar!!! I don't really think that those places exist here, and if they do, i haven't discovered them yet! I would spend hours in there! *0*

Cassie The Venomous said...

Marius-

Ha-ha! The one I am talking about in this blog entry is exclusive to my college's town, but you can find all the same products at large art-supply distributors and craft stores. :]

-Cassie.

Mak said...

Cassie,
My roommate introduced me to the hidden art section of the College Book Store last year and I've been hooked ever since! They have a large section of art supplies and pretty reasonable prices, too!

Cassie The Venomous said...

Mak-

It has become quite the problem for me, that little nook.

Even with reasonable prices, it adds up when one is the type to find one's self meandering toward those steps at all giving opportunities. Ha-ha!

-Cassie

Amanda Sestrich said...

I am also a fan of art supplies. I am not really an artist, but when I have to do projects it is great to know I can get supplies at College Bookstore. I have also used their art supplies to make paddles for my sorority. It is great to know that College Bookstore is one of the most affordable places to get art supplies for different events and projects!!

Share Content!